Anything & Everything!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 2:49 pm  #1

Game Discussion - WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

As is the subject. Discuss Uncharted 4 here. 

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Goboshock.png

5/11/2016 6:57 am  #2

Re: Game Discussion - WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

Uh.....ok.

I played about 90 minutes last night and it's a good Uncharted game so far. That's all I got.

5/11/2016 8:22 am  #3

I only played 30 or so (just until the words "Chapter 2" appeared onscreen).  It seems good so far, kinda like a mix between TLOU and Assassin's Creed.  The only thing I didn't like was that Nathan's brother appeared to be a greaser from The Outsiders with a random Noo Yawk accent to sound extra deliquenty.

5/11/2016 9:07 am  #4

But he grows up to become Troy Baker, so shut up.

5/11/2016 9:09 am  #5

I will say it's nice to get back to it. It was both new and familiar at the same time last night. The series as a whole is just top tier.

5/11/2016 10:56 am  #6

The camera, the art, it was all TLOU. I don't remember what Uncharted was actually like specifically.

5/11/2016 11:43 am  #7

The game has a slightly washed out quality to it that was pervasive throughout TLOU. The pre-TLOU Uncharted series had vibrant colors that popped. Look at any part of Uncharted 2 in particular.

5/12/2016 7:02 am  #8

I got to play more Uncharted last night. The plot has finally advanced to where Nate is actively seeking the maguffin now. I really don't know what to say beyond it's a really solid game. And that's not a bad thing. Troy Baker is easily the best voice actor out there today. He's not a voice actor like Mel Blanc (though he did do the Joker in Arkham Origins), but his delivery is really nuanced. He does the subtle Brooklyn accent for Nate's brother that sounds nothing like the Southern drawl of Joel, that sounds nothing like Booker from BioShock Infinite. It's impressive.

5/12/2016 8:35 am  #9

I probably won't play any more until this weekend.  So is it established that Sam and Nate are from New York?

Troy Baker, Nolan North, Laura Bailey and a handful of other video game voice actors makes me perplexed why games ever hire any big-name Hollywood actors for a video game.  Those in the latter group rarely make a game better.

5/12/2016 8:56 am  #10

I think it's the mo-cap in place nowadays is what they perceive as the draw. Seeing Kevin Spacey in a COD game is better than just hearing his voice. 

No, they don't say where they're from. I thought Nate grew up on the streets in South America. Isn't that what they said in the last game? Who knows. 

5/12/2016 10:18 am  #11

Some screen shots of the beauty that is Uncharted 4

http://imgur.com/a/ryDmG

5/12/2016 10:23 am  #12

I'll tell you what, the rendering of foliage in the game is outstanding.

5/13/2016 8:47 am  #13

Did we just jump right over the Uncanny Valley?  It seems like that was a concern in the early 2000s as games got more realistic, they'd somehow look less human-like and scary.  I've felt like games have seamlessly moved into realism without the weird dead eyes that were predicted.  Faces have looked almost perfect since L.A. Noire.  The only real issue with bodies in games is kissing/love scenes and hair rendering (it still mostly looks either too stiff or too wispy).

5/13/2016 9:30 am  #14

It's seems likely. I mean, we're always comparing the benefits of PC gaming at maximum resolution to consoles, but I'm pretty damn satisfied with where we are on consoles right now. The additional nuances PC gaming can offer in graphics are really just in resolution. It's not like we're talking consoles showing Mummy 2 level CGI, whereas PCs are providing photo-realism in the same game. The field is pretty level in a 1:1 general comparison.

5/16/2016 7:02 am  #15

I got some good time in With Uncharted 4 this weekend. I believe I'm on Chapter 12. This is a very good game. Whatever internal strife the devs may have had, it's not reflected in the game.

I read one review, I can't remember which one, that said the game doesn't have any memorable scenes like the train in Uncharted 2 or the plane in Uncharted 3. That's not true at all. There's a truck scene I played last night that was probably one of the most fun levels I've played in a game in recent memory. If you're not there yet, you'll know it when you see it. The quality of this game is going to make me very sad that this is the series closer.

5/16/2016 8:47 am  #16

I think I'm at Chapter 9 or so.  I like the game a lot so far.  I'm glad Naughty Dog has huge spaces of time between gunfights, because the best part of the game seems to be exploring, hearing the dialogue, and uncovering the mystery.  I actually turned the "auto-target" to ON and now gunfights are a lot better too.

The one thing that keeps nagging at me, is I don't know why Drake lied to Elena about what he was doing and where he was going.  She wanted him to take that treasure job with his co-worker, so why would he be afraid she wouldn't understand this job, considering the stakes for everyone involved?  It seemed kinda flimsy to me, but I'm thinking we'll come around to that at the end of the game.

5/16/2016 8:56 am  #17

I agree. It's one of those plot misunderstandings that could easily have been avoided with the truth. But, that's how entertainment in general creates tension.

I was thinking yesterday how much better the pacing is this time around. There's more emphasis on the puzzles and I like the journal interaction. 

As an aside, Jack started up on the original Uncharted after watching Uncharted 4 and I had to help him on a couple puzzles. Some graphics, issues aside, the game holds up remarkably well.

5/16/2016 8:59 am  #18

I still die all the freaking time.  For some reason, my brain doesn't process the fact that Nate will automatically catch the thing below him if you press Circle to drop, so I press Circle again when I want him to grab on, which makes me drop it again (to my death).  Was it AC that you had to press a button to grab the ledge while falling?  I don't know why I can't get past that brain block.

Good thing the checkpoints are really good and there's really no loading times.  I've died from a fight twice, but I've died by falling to my death at least 30 times.

5/16/2016 9:37 am  #19

I do the same thing. I get antsy that he won't grab on, so I do the instinctive button press and drop when I don't want to. The platforming is more difficult in this game because the cues are much more subtle. They really borrowed from TLOU on the minimalism in the environment.

5/16/2016 11:50 am  #20

I'm skipping most of these posts till I get further in.

I just have to say, this game is gorgeous.  I know that's a "Well, no shit." statement, but damn.  It's amazing.

[url]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxivarr/2fb1c713878a0cda.png[/url]

5/16/2016 12:11 pm  #21

So far there hasn't really been much to spoil. I'm sure the ending will be where the most talk is generated. Otherwise, it's just talking about the different locales and characters, which are largely spoiler free. I think they've done a good balance on the puzzle challenges. I've had to stop and think, but I've yet to be running to the internet for help.

5/16/2016 12:56 pm  #22

I haven't been stumped yet either.  There's been a few times where I've had to turn the camera around to find the climbing route it wants me to take, but that's the extent of it.  It's not like we're talking about The Witness or anything.

5/16/2016 1:06 pm  #23

Btw, Nicole, the black mercenary chick, is played by a white voice actor. Prepare for the Polygon article within the next several days.

5/16/2016 1:31 pm  #24

I saw that.  At least it's Laura Bailey, who has been in a million things.  

5/16/2016 1:41 pm  #25

I'm sure that will placate all the thin-skinned activist groups itching to have their feelings hurt this week.

5/17/2016 8:38 am  #26

I played a bit further and now I just got a jeep that controls like shit that I'm driving in mud.  This won't go poorly at all!

5/17/2016 8:44 am  #27

I didn't think the jeep controlled that poorly. Wait until you're driving it under pressure.

5/17/2016 8:50 am  #28

It seems floaty and bouncy to me.  It doesn't feel like it has much heft to it.  I'm not crashing or anything, but it kind of reminds me of the Mako in Mass Effect, like the tires are made from that same material that makes bouncy rubber balls you'd buy in those 25 cent machines as a kid.  But I'm sure that beats realism, where hitting a stray rock would pop a tire and not let you proceed at all.

5/17/2016 9:21 am  #29

So you're on Madagascar then. I played for a good 90 minutes last night and didn't get into one gunfight. That's a lot of restraint for Uncharted.

5/17/2016 10:04 am  #30

I'm glad Naughty Dog realized Uncharted's biggest weakness (not that it's a big one) is the firefights.  That's really where the game goes from "first in its class" to "another competent third-person shooter."  I doubt they'll do another one of these games, but it makes me wonder how good the series would have been if they were exploration/puzzle heavy games with stealth elements (no firefights).  That certainly would have solved some of the dilemmas people had with Nathan being a happy-go-lucky adventurer who also happens to be a mass murderer.

Board footera